Dyslexia looks different at different ages. The only way you will know for sure is by having your child tested. Here are some red flags from preschool to early elementary age.
- Delayed speech
- Mixing up sounds in multisyllabic words
- Early stuttering
- Ear infections
- Difficulty rhyming.
- Struggles to read familiar words
- Doesn’t know how to decode unfamiliar words
- Often substitutes words when reading aloud
- Often skips over or confuses small words
- Immature speech
- Doesn’t consistently recognize words
- Inaccurate reading of single words in isolation
- Reading is slow and choppy.
What should you do?
If you have noticed any of these things in your child it is NEVER too early to get them tested. We test for dyslexia here at RLLC, so give us a call and we’ll get you scheduled!