In today’s episode RLLC owners Susan Danker and Carla Askew are answering the most frequently asked questions that parents have when their child is diagnosed with Dyslexia. Susan and Carla are SLPs in the DMV area who specialize in dyslexia. They both have a passion for helping people succeed which is why they began their practice in 2002. At their practice they treat children and adults with speech, language, and reading disorders. In addition to to their regular work Susan and Carla offer professional development courses to SLPs looking to grow their practice. The courses discuss how to identify and test for dyslexia. Make sure to follow RLLC on all social media platforms to keep up to date with their courses and other helpful resources. The links are down below. Today the questions we will be answering are:
- How long will dyslexia therapy take?
- What books can I read with my child?
- What can I do at home with my child?
- Why can’t we work on writing and/or spelling right away? My child just needs to know how to spell.
- Why is it important to do working memory drills? What do they have to do with reading/spelling?
- Should my child take a second language if they have dyslexia?
- Why is it that my child with Autism can read at grade level but needs intervention?
- Should we do Vision therapy?
- What accommodations should we ask for at school?
Links and Resources:
- Their practice
- Susan’s Bio
- Carla’s Bio