Dyslexia looks different at different ages. The only way you will know for sure is by having your child tested. Here are some red flags from preschool to early elementary age.
- Delayed speech
- Mixing up sounds in multisyllabic words
- Early stuttering
- Ear infections
- Difficulty rhyming.
- Struggles to read familiar words
- Doesn’t know how to decode unfamiliar words
- Often substitutes words when reading aloud
- Often skips over or confuses small words
Early Elementary –
- Immature speech
- Doesn’t consistently recognize words
- Inaccurate reading of single words in isolation
- Reading is slow and choppy.